Have you ever wondered what a jib crane is? You have likely come across this piece of equipment before especially if your company is in the construction sector.
At Cranes UK we want to ensure you're always provided with the best equipment and you are informed about everything there is to know about the available lifting equipment such as the ones we're discussing in this article.
This article is going to look at what this piece of equipment is, show you how to use it safely, and then look at the advantages of using jib cranes so you can get an idea of if they are the right lifting solution for you.
If by the end of the article you require any further information or support please do not hesitate to contact an experienced member of the Cranes UK team and we will be happy to help you find a solution.
Let's start with understanding what this piece of lifting equipment is by asking the following question...
What is a Jib Crane?
The key parts of this piece of lifting equipment are the masts, booms or jibs, and trolleys. The horizontal boom or jib supports a moveable hoist fixed to a wall or a floor-mounted pillar which can then swing through a given space to move heavy-lifting items.
Depending on how it's fixed will vary on how much weight the jib crane can carry so you'll need to consider what you want to lift and what suitable floor-mounted pillar will be needed to take that weight.
They are often used as a type of overhead lifting device used for repetitive and unique lifting tasks. You can expect to find them used in various businesses across a number of industries due to the simplicity of the way they are used to lift and move heavy goods.
You may have seen them in action and not realised it as it's common for them to be used on top of warehouse buildings or construction sites to lift goods to different floors of the building.
They're a popular choice of the crane due to the amount of weight they can carry for operations that require goods to be raised at heights not attainable by other lifting goods while not taking up too much space and being versatile in the surroundings they are put in.
How you can use a jib crane and the safety measures you need to take
To get a better idea of how this piece of kit works, it's sometimes easier if you can get a detailed breakdown of the steps in place so you can visualise how it operates in your workspace easier.
However, it is important to know how you can use this simple lifting solution before you start using it to ensure you don't have any injuries or damage to any property or goods.
Your health and safety is a major factor for Cranes UK and for when you're using any sort of lifting equipment, which is why we wanted to give you a number of safety measures you can take to keep you and your team safe, prolong the service life of your equipment, and have a better lifting experience.
- The area beneath and around the jib crane must be clear this is to avoid damage or injury from occurring.
- You must operate the version of equipment accordingly, and the load capacity of it can never be exceeded.
- Always check end stops that prevent the trolley from running off the jib.
- The load must be secure and balanced.
- The motion should be gentle so that the lifting process is smooth allowing the load to stay in place.
- Do not leave controls unattended or operated by someone who is not trained or experienced. Please make sure the controls are used by only the people who know how to use them.
- To avoid swinging loads, it's important that you always position the hoist directly above the lifting point of the load. You can check your placement by seeing if the hoisting ropes are vertical-they should be.
- Please maintain a minimum clearance above and around your load.
- Please raise your load only as high as you need to raise it to clear objects and always lower the load slowly.
Advantages of using a jib crane
Jib cranes are relatively popular amongst specific industries and have a various range of applications depending on what it's lifting and how much it's lifting.
You might be thinking that this lifting solution is what you need, however, asking yourself the question "ok, sounds like this is what I need, but what are the actual advantages?"
And that's a great question. That's why we wanted to give you an overview of a number of the advantages you can get from using this piece of equipment.
- Cranes are highly reliable with a wide reach in relation to the design, giving you an easy lifting process.
- These types of cranes are highly stable and have a high capacity for all your heavy lifting needs.
- They are highly customisable and therefore you can also use them in combination with other machines. e
- You can easily install and uninstall the equipment.
- The cranes are made to be strong and reliable so you can be assured your goods are safe when being lifted.
- The grasp means you can reposition your load(s) without worrying it may fall.
- The loading and unloading process is simple thanks to the cranes being movable and coming with a complete management system that resists any fatality to weight dropping.
- The jib crane is cost-effective compared to other types of cranes you can get making it an ideal solution if you're on a budget or don't want to overspend for simple jobs.
Do you need a jib crane?
You now have an understanding of how this heavy weight lifting solution can help your business or personal lifting solution, either now or in the future when you need to lift heavy goods between floors, at height, or from the ground up to an elevated platform.
You might still be asking yourself something along the lines of "this is great, however, I've got a complicated situation, I'm not sure if this is the right solution for me" or something similar. And you would be right to think that as one thing we haven't gone into in this article is how a jib crane can help you and your current or future lifting challenges.
If this is the case, or you want to find out about something completely different, or another product, please contact an experienced member of the Cranes UK team where you can get your questions answered and solutions provided.
Electric Wire Hoists
Electric Wire Rope Hoists from leading manufacturers at leading prices. We advise from the most comprehensive range of technologically advanced Wire Rope Hoists based on your specifications. New or Used up to 50 Tonnes in Monorail, Low Headroom and Crab Unit models for single and double girder overhead cranes. We also offer installation and servicing on all types of hoists.Click here for more information
Inspection services from the experts, we offer testing, inspection, certification and reporting on all types of Overhead Cranes and associated Lifting Equipment.
Remember: Maintenance Prevents Breakdowns. All of our maintenance is carried out in accordance with LOLER requirements by fully competent and trained engineers. Call our Service Department Today!
Click here for more information
Eddie Chukwujekwu- Winjek Integrated Solutions
Your services are very good and punctual, please keep it up.Click here for more testimonials
- Everything You Need To Know About Jib Cranes25th November 2020
- What are electric chain hoists? Everything you need to know11th November 2020
- Radio Control Systems23rd September 2020 Radio remote control systems can be used to operate overhead cranes and hoists with precision and simplicity. This can improve safety, efficiency and performance, making a radio ...