Cranes need to be serviced regularly to ensure they are safe to use and fit for purpose. This ensures the safety of everyone operating them, others working on site and the general public. As a crane owner, it is your responsibility to oversee crane servicing and assign any tasks required for the full and thorough servicing of your equipment.
Rules and regulations regarding crane servicing
There are two sets of regulations that will dictate how often your crane needs servicing, and what should happen as part of the process. These are the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER). These regulations are in place to make sure people working with lifting equipment are working safely, with equipment that is appropriate for the task.
LOLER: These regulations are in place to make sure lifting equipment is safe for use, and for most types of equipment, will set out requirements for a ‘thorough examination’. You must keep a record of these examinations and inspections, and report them to any other persons responsible and any relevant local authorities.
PUWER: These are more general regulations that are applied to various kinds of working equipment. Lifting equipment is usually also working equipment, so under PUWER, it needs to be maintained correctly to ensure it is safe for use. Cranes and lifting equipment may also need to be inspected between the thorough examinations required under LOLER.
How often should cranes be serviced?
Under LOLER, a thorough examination should be carried out in the following circumstances:
• Before first time use
• After assembly at any varying locations
• Regularly whilst in service
• After any exceptional circumstances, like damage or being out of use
During regular service, equipment also needs an examination:
• Every 6 months for lifting equipment and accessories
• Every 12 months for other lifting equipment
As part of a service with Cranes UK, any issues detected during inspections can also be repaired, and we offer routine maintenance on site with our experienced servicing team. Call us on 01384 441235 to discuss about your cranes and lifting equipment for further advice.
Electric Wire Hoists
Electric Wire Rope Hoists from leading manufacturers at leading prices. We advise from the most comprehensive range of technologically advanced Wire Rope Hoists based on your specifications. New or Used up to 50 Tonnes in Monorail, Low Headroom and Crab Unit models for single and double girder overhead cranes. We also offer installation and servicing on all types of hoists.Click here for more information
Inspection services from the experts, we offer testing, inspection, certification and reporting on all types of Overhead Cranes and associated Lifting Equipment.
Remember: Maintenance Prevents Breakdowns. All of our maintenance is carried out in accordance with LOLER requirements by fully competent and trained engineers. Call our Service Department Today!
Click here for more information
Eddie Chukwujekwu- Winjek Integrated Solutions
Your services are very good and punctual, please keep it up.Click here for more testimonials
- The Benefits of Chain Hoists2nd April 2019 Chain hoists are an integral part of the hoist family, working to complete lifts using an electric power source. This means that they can lift much heavier loads than manual ...
- Questions to Ask Before you Buy a Used Crane7th March 2019 Buying a crane is a big decision for any business. There can be a high initial cost involved, and you need to know that the crane you are buying is worth the price you pay. This ...
- Crane Servicing is More Important than Ever as the Market Booms7th March 2019 A report has revealed that the global bridge crane market looks set to reach multi billion dollars by 2024. The report also covered some of the key players in the crane market, ...