Jib cranes are one of the most mechanically simple cranes available today and have three major components:-
- Masts, This is the vertical part of the system, this allows the boom to be held at the correct angle and also controls the height of lift.
- Booms or Jibs, This is the horizontal part of the crane, This part supports the movable electric chain hoist, and can be fixed to either a wall or the floor.
- Trolleys, this part slides up and down the boom and holds the electric hoist, wire rope, and lifting hook in place.
A Swing Jib Crane is a type of crane which has a horizontal member that supports a movable hoist to either a wall or to a floor-mounted pillar. These type of cranes are used mostly in industrial premises and on military vehicles, the jib may swing through an arc that gives you additional lateral movement. It can also be fixed onto the top floor of an industrial warehouse to help lift goods to all the different floors from the ground up.
Jib cranes are broken down into two different categories, Floor mounted and wall mounted cranes with the floor mounted attached to a fixed support base and the wall mounted fixed to a structural support or wall.
- Floor mounted models are the most commonly used, These are self-supporting jib cranes that are mounted onto a concrete foundation. These variations can rotate a full 360˚ and are manually operated
- Wall mounted swing jibs are mounted horizontally onto a wall and instead of a vertical shaft has an RCC column bracket mounting. The hoist mechanism is pretty much the same as the floor mounted type but without a vertical boom. The wall mounted jib allows a maximum rotation of 200˚ but covers the area near the bracket mounting without obstruction at floor level.
By using a Jib Crane there are many advantages, Though they are very simple in construction they are very important pieces of equipment due to their versatility and strength that they wield.
- Strong, even small ones can hoist several tonnes. The secret to their strength is the fixed base or foundation.
- They are very reliable thanks to the minimal amount of parts that are used meaning there is a reduced potential breakdown or failure.
- They are very easy to use because they eliminate multiple axis point movements, all a crane operator needs to watch out for is the rotational movement of the boom, hoist lifting and lowering, and the trolley travel.
- Jibs also benefit from transitional lifting, they are quick and nimble which allows them to move loads that are located in small areas.
Jib cranes are a perfect addition to any factory and should always be one of your first choices when looking for a crane or hoist. Extremely hard wearing and are perfect for repetitive and unique tasks, which is why they are commonly paired with overhead cranes because they are the perfect supporting actor.
If you have any queries with Jib Cranes please don't hesitate to get in contact with one of our friendly team.
Electric Wire Hoists
Electric Wire Rope Hoists from leading manufacturers at leading prices. We advise from the most comprehensive range of technologically advanced Wire Rope Hoists based on your specifications. New or Used up to 50 Tonnes in Monorail, Low Headroom and Crab Unit models for single and double girder overhead cranes. We also offer installation and servicing on all types of hoists.Click here for more information
Inspection services from the experts, we offer testing, inspection, certification and reporting on all types of Overhead Cranes and associated Lifting Equipment.
Remember: Maintenance Prevents Breakdowns. All of our maintenance is carried out in accordance with LOLER requirements by fully competent and trained engineers. Call our Service Department Today!
Click here for more information
Neil Mcinerney, Sellafield Ltd
Cranes-UK Have been instrumental in providing help and technical support ...Click here for more testimonials
- Questions to Ask Before you Buy a Used Crane7th March 2019 Buying a crane is a big decision for any business. There can be a high initial cost involved, and you need to know that the crane you are buying is worth the price you pay. This ...
- Crane Servicing is More Important than Ever as the Market Booms7th March 2019 A report has revealed that the global bridge crane market looks set to reach multi billion dollars by 2024. The report also covered some of the key players in the crane market, ...
- Crane Servicing by Trusted Professionals15th January 2019 Crane servicing and maintenance is an important part of owning lifting equipment. It has to be kept in the right condition to make sure it will be safe to use, adhering to ...